There’s No Place Like Home: Aging in Place
December 2, 2017 @ 11:00 am - 1:30 pmFree
Most of us would prefer to age in our own homes, rather than moving into long-term care facilities. Yet, maintaining the costs and upkeep of our homes can become burdensome, especially as we age into our later years. Fortunately, many free local services are available to help us to manage our homes, maintain our independence, and make our living environments more age-friendly.
As part of this free community forum, participants will learn about:
- Programs offering free or reduced-price home repairs for seniors
- Adaptive home modifications that will help individuals with physical disabilities to live more independently
- Utility assistance programs that will help renters and homeowners to afford their energy costs
- Weatherization services to keep homes warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer
- Services covered through Medicare to provide in-home medical equipment
- Strategies to make home environments safer to reduce the risk of falls and injuries that may force us to move out of our homes
The program will feature presenters from the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging, the Energy Coordinating Agency, the Philadelphia Housing Development Corporation, Chestnut Hill Hospital, and the Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elderly (C.A.R.I.E.).
Lunch and refreshments will be served. Tokens will be provided to cover travel costs.
Support in planning this program has been provided by the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging and the Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elderly.